The Top Ten Reasons For Showing Your Kerry In Obedience
by Lisa Frankland
This list first appeared in the January/February 1994 issue of Kerry Klips,
the newsletter for the Kerry Blue Terrier Club of Southern CA.
* 10. Getting ranked in the Delaney System is a heck of a lot easier than getting a ranking in either the Knight or Terrier Type Systems.* 9. With enough preparation and a little luck (Okay, *a lot* of luck in Utility!), you can be reasonably assured of earning that CD, CDX, or UD in just three shows.
* 8. The judge will not hold it against you if your dog has ears that fly, or is late clearing, or had a little too much hair taken off the left hind leg, or….
* 7. Imagine going to a show without having to lug a grooming table or a tack box.
* 6. An obedience title certificate is a good way to prove to your mailman, father-in-law, etc. that the whirling dervish with the squeaky toy in his mouth *really does* know how to behave!
* 5. You can earn a title without having to beat a single dog (or bitch!); furthermore, it doesn’t matter if the judge wouldn’t know a Kerry if he saw one, as long as he can count past 169 1/2.
* 4. Conformation dogs can only earn one title; obedience dogs can earn up to five (CD,CDX, UD, UDX, OTCh), not to mention tracking and agility titles.
* 3. The “toys” aren’t limited to brushes and show leads.
* 2. You can demonstrate that your Kerry not only has eyes, but a brain (and a good one!) under all that hair.
* 1. IT’S FUN!
Last Updated: 12/19/2002, 4:19 pm